Showing posts with label australia news. Show all posts
Showing posts with label australia news. Show all posts

Monday, 17 November 2008

QLD GOVT ANNOUNCES DISASTER RELIEF FOR STORM VICTIMS

The Queensland and Federal Governments have activated disaster assistance for victims of the storm that ripped through south-east Queensland Sunday afternoon.
Brisbane was declared a natural disaster zone earlier this afternoon. The storm caused hundreds of thousands of dollars' worth of damage and had locals comparing it to Cyclone Larry.
The Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements apply to Brisbane City, Moreton Bay, Scenic Rim, Ipswich, Gold Coast, Somerset, Logan City and the Sunshine Coast.
State Emergency Services Minister Neil Roberts said that the State Government is offering hardship grants of $165 per person and up to $765 per family.
He added that the hardship assistance is administered by the Department of Communities.
"It's jointly funded by both the Commonwealth and the State Government," he said.
There's a joint formula where we share the funding arrangements to support both individuals and also local councils in the extensive repair works that are often required after these events."
Mr Roberts says up to $10,000 for individuals and $13,000 for families may be available for repairs, or to replace home contents.
"It's one of the most powerful natural disaster events we've had for 25 years in this region," he said.
"I talked to SES volunteers today. The type of damage that we're seeing, particularly in the northern suburbs, the north-western suburbs, is very similar to what they saw up around Innisfail when Cyclone Larry came through."
Mr Roberts estimates around 4,000 homes have received some damage in the area.
"Three hundred of those quite seriously [damaged] and we estimate probably about 30 will be almost unliveable," he said.
Energex spokesman Mike Swanston says 30,000 homes and businesses are still without power.
"We will get a fair bit back on tonight, we are expecting to probably get 15,000 on tonight," he said.
Earlier, the Army responded to Brisbane Lord Mayor Campbell Newman's request for help by providing over 100 soldiers, and tomorrow 20 low-security prisoners will join the clean-up.

MIRANDA KERR HAS AUSSIE COMPANY AT VICTORIA'S SECRET SHOW


Kershaw, 21, made headlines earlier this year when she fainted as she exited the runway at Alexander McQueen's Paris show after being squeezed into a tight corset.
Stephens, 18, who began her career after winning the 2006 Girlfriend Model Search, is regarded as a rising star on the modelling circuit.
She flew to Miami on the Victoria's Secret private jet with Kerr after finishing filming Solitary Man with Danny DeVito and Michael Douglas.
Having three homegrown models in the fashion calendar's most-viewed runway parade is considered a coup.
Agent Kathy Ward, of Chic Model Management, said the show, which also featured top model Heidi Klum, was a brilliant international showcase for the trio.
All three began their careers by winning the Girlfriend competition.
"To have three Australian girls in the show is extraordinary," Ward said.
"In terms of helping their careers, it's an amazing platform."
Kerr was the first Australian signed to the Victoria's Secret campaign, and Ward predicted that the careers of the three friends would continue to soar.
"Abbey is a bit quirky - a bit different and bohemian - and that has really struck a chord. And Sarah is really happy and bright," Ward said yesterday.

Sunday, 16 November 2008

South Australia bans single-use plastic bags

South Australia will become the first state to ban single-use plastic shopping bags from January next year.
The Government had passed the upper house on 13th November said by the Honourable Environment Minister Jay Weatherill in which he called it as historic.
He is very happy and expressed that South Australia is showing leadership on a key environmental issue.
By the new laws of Government, single use bags will be banned from January 1 next year since a phase-in period will continue until May 4.Between that period shop owners can use the bags but they must give an alternative to the customers.
The ban does not apply to more heavy-duty plastic bags used by department stores and similar retail stores, or to the plastic bags supplied on rolls and used for fruit and vegetables.